Establishing a relationship with the media
Your efforts will be better rewarded if you build up a relationship with local journalists. They often look for good local news stories - but take care not to overwhelm them.
Before you speak to the journalist you are targeting, read the publication or listen to/watch their programme.
- Be courteous when you call them, and check that you are calling at a convenient time.
- Once they are listening, ask:
— about their deadlines - when do they go to press? When would they like to be contacted?
— how would they like to receive information - by fax, email or telephone?
— what kind of stories are they interested in?
- Make sure you get the number of their direct telephone line if they have one, their fax number, email address and any other relevant details.
- Next time you call, remind them of your previous conversations.
- Invite them to any event your organisation might be running - once you meet face-to-face they are more likely to remember you.
- Never give up!
© The Womens Sports Foundation 2005 Registered charity number